Sunday, November 25, 2007

a recent installation




I got a call from an old friend and client Lou Marotta couple of months ago. He asked me "What fabulous sculpture do you have for the lobby of my building?" Lou volunteered to take on a year long project to completely redecorate the lobby, hallways, and public spaces within his condo building, The Belgravia on the upper East side.
In addition to finding, from my own collection, a naturalistic teak tree form sculpture for him, I also made 20 mirrors (one for each hallway floor of his building) that were antique bamboo veneered 3' sq. for The Belgravia project as well.

I was honored that he called me, and even more excited when he decided to include the teak tree into his lobby decor.

I was responsible for "making it work", which meant I had to call on a metalsmith to fashion a stable, nonobstrusive, and most importantly safe stand for the sculpture to "float" three feet off the ground on three rods of steel. After much deliberation my metalsmith and I had the armature worked out. It was up to him to make it work. A few weeks later it was completed and it was better than I could have imagined.



The result was beautiful, I designed a stand that held the piece from behind, and had an offset right angle support that anchored vertically into a 30" sq. 3/8th" thick steel plate.

Lou was very happy with the finished piece.

The installation could not have been done with out the help of Jake, my mover. He's been reliable, courteous and he's strong! van4nyc@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment