Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Breck Armstrong Interview @ The East Hampton Antiques Show,


At the East Hampton Antiques show I met Breck Armstrong who is taking a very interesting approach towards salvaging architectural artifacts and turning them into beautiful pieces of furniture.


Ryan: When and how did you get into designing furniture?
Breck: “It all began in the 1990’s when I was involved in refurbishing houses in Chicago. I had to create new parts for homes and fix them up so they could be sold. This is where I noticed more ideas and a passion. I then started to buy furniture for my own home and fix that up as well. At the time, I was also working for the zoological society for about 8 years where I was constantly creating and fixing new and old structures for the animals.
I had a good background in art history and great ideas for fabricating furniture. These jobs lead me to start a Salvage House. I began salvaging architectural artifacts and turning them into furniture. When I began collecting the artifacts I began to notice that people weren’t just interested in buying a hunk of iron that sat on the floor, they wanted it to be made into a table or bench of sorts. From that point on, I began collecting as much as I could.

Ryan: What would you say your overall focus is?
Breck: I have a strong interest in lighting, particularly the huge film set lights from the 1930’s. Some like to call my style Industrial Modern or Urban Organic.

With a unique and ever changing collection of industrial salvage, Breck creates furniture and home accessories. Along with his salvage creations Breck also makes a line of hand finished concrete pots and planters in various sizes and styles.

For more information:
www.mossstudiosinc.com
breck@mossstudiosinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment